View Single Post
      03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #3638
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Okay - so the penguin story. It isn't really as exciting as you probably thought.

When I was in the military and/or government service, there was a time I had to don a PFP suite and OBA system. For reference, I am rather short. Both of these items are one size fits all. For reference, here are the items in question:

OBA:

PFP

Now, as you can imagine, this can get rather cumbersome. So, here I am wearing this "one size fits all" suit, which in government terms means it is simply large enough to fit the fattest bastard on the planet, so everyone else must fit too. The crotch is literally at my knees. Then, I have the OBA strapped onto my chest. This thing is quite bulky, because the chemical reaction going on in the OBA canister generates an enormous amount of heat, so there is a ton of insulation around the pack. The bottom hits me just below the belt, and the top of the pack where the hoses to the mask come out is just under my chin.

Here is what a normal size person looks like with an OBA on (less the PFP). So you can imagine a short guy wearing it.

Now, because of the situation, I was running at a pretty good clip, which wasn't really possible, so it was more of a waddle. Fellow cohorts in the adventure all started commenting that I looked like an alien penguin and the name stuck.

Years later, in the automotive business while finishing grad school, we all had nicknames and I mentioned this story to some of the guys who promptly started calling me Penguin. This was fine, until the 'Pung Wung' story came to light....
Lol...that’s a great story.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
MKSixer34171.50