View Single Post
      09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I get where you're coming from regarding button overkill, ala Porsche's recent designs, but the 1er is meant to be a reasonably plain car, if you want all the modern fluff, why not get a 3er? I'd like to see more differentiation between the 1 and 3, and keeping unnecessary clutter out of the car, even if it means dropping the optional nav and idrive seems like a good start. I do think that the pics show better quality materials than our 1ers, so that seems like a win, at least until we know what the ergonomics are like.

I can touch the first three radio presets and the search button of my radio while still holding the steering wheel in the M Coupe, I can even shift to first or third with a finger still on the wheel. Sometimes good design just beats laziness. I also don't use my phone in the car, so that solves that problem too.
Now you're sounding like the 3 guys with "why not just get a 3, a REAL BMW."
You know why we 1 drivers got the 1.

The 3 was on my short list. I've had one before and I really like them.
In 09 I didn't think it look good. It looks much better now with the slight redesign.
The 1 had a cool look, and it offered a performance package for a great price compared to an equivalent optioned 3.
The 1 was a great option compared to a 3, so that's why I got it.

I've never understood the whole strip down thing in an BMW.
People complain about cars like the amazing new Mustang GT.
You can get that one with virtually nothing, so why not get the GT if you want raw performance with less "luxury" items?

A BMW, modern BMW anyway, offers, or should offer, a certain level of technology. It's not like the 1 is a low cost automobile.
There's nothing wrong with putting in a centrally located screen with a simple control interface. It keeps the dash very clean looking, while offering what people expect in a $40k+ automobile.

I certainly don't want crank windows and manual seats.
The 1 is already plain enough inside. Having a screen to adjust things isn't overkill nor does it have to be implemented with flashing lights.
It can be done simply and look minimal.
Appreciate 0