View Single Post
      12-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #88
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I agree that the running cost of using winter wheels is about the same as summer wheels. The rims keep their value rather well if you don't abuse them.

It is a bit too digital to only classify tyres as winter and summer tyres. It is an analog scale from one to the other. Michelin Pilot SuperSport is an example of a tyre which is very optimized for summer conditions, but rather useless in the winter. There are also tyres for sale in Nordic countries which are useless in summer conditions, but very good when it is cold and slippery. Going 100+ km/h with those tyres feels rather unsafe.

There are also a lot of tyres in between, which can do a little bit of both, but not excel at anything. If you want to have only one set of wheels, I think you better go for one of these. The better solution is of course to have dedicated wheels for summer and winter use.

When I buy new summer tyres, I start using them in the autumn. That is when you need the maximum tread depth. It also wears them in, so they are ready for some track action next spring. Brand new tyres are not very suited for track use, unless it's raining.

It can be sensible to have smaller rims for the winter tyres. That makes the wheels lighter, which is good for both comfort and grip when the snow and ice gets bumpy. Taller tyre sidewalls makes them more compliant as well, which is generally an advantage in slippery conditions. I prefer wheel designs that are easily cleaned in the winter.

Wide winter tyres have more grip on firm ground like tarmac and ice, while narrow winter tyres are better on loose surfaces like snow and slush.
Appreciate 0