Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Mercedes is not even the shadow of its former self.

Mass produced and nothing special is what they have become. How the once mighty have fallen!

Mercedes once manufactured and crafted the fines automobiles in the world. You could tell a MB from miles away. Best paint quality, best sheetmetal, best fit and finish, best interior materials, best attention to detail in and out, safety, innovation. It was a car that had unmistakable presence on the road. Beside a Rolls Royce, a Mercedes Benz was a car to aspire to.

Modern M-B is nothing like that anymore. Just another manufacturer. People go gaga over their interiors riddle with creaky to the touch plastic interior trim pieces and glued in iPad tablets.

The decline of Mercedes started in the early to mid 1990s. While probably better off today they still haven't been able to recapture their former glorious self.

I prefer MB cars made during the era of their best slogan ever:

"Engineered like no other car in the world".

This is a real Mercedes Benz!

These cars used to outlast/outlive pretty much anything on the road.
And you think BMW isn't a mass produced product and is special? BMW and Mercedes have been going at each others throats for YEARS now to be top seller in the USA. It's been tit for tat. If anything, Audi has been the brand that doesn't really move as many units and would be considered more 'special' if we're measuring units sold out of the three German brands. Audi is trying to change that though.

These are businesses that have to scale and answer to shareholders. If shareholders aren't making money, they're not happy. BMW has watered down the brand so it appeals to a broader audience for a reason.
BMW is guilty of this too.

But the fall of Mercedes for those of us who remember the old iron is just hard to ignore.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0