06-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #74
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Mercedes is not even the shadow of its former self.

Mass produced and nothing special is what they have become. How the once mighty have fallen!

Mercedes once manufactured and crafted the fines automobiles in the world. You could tell a MB from miles away. Best paint quality, best sheetmetal, best fit and finish, best interior materials, best attention to detail in and out, safety, innovation. It was a car that had unmistakable presence on the road. Beside a Rolls Royce, a Mercedes Benz was a car to aspire to.

Modern M-B is nothing like that anymore. Just another manufacturer. People go gaga over their interiors riddle with creaky to the touch plastic interior trim pieces and glued in iPad tablets.

The decline of Mercedes started in the early to mid 1990s. While probably better off today they still haven't been able to recapture their former glorious self.

I prefer MB cars made during the era of their best slogan ever:

"Engineered like no other car in the world".

This is a real Mercedes Benz!

These cars used to outlast/outlive pretty much anything on the road.
My father was telling me exactly this. A couple weeks ago my brother, who is just a year out of college, leased a C300 for like $300/mo. He said that at one time Mercedes Benz was the most esteemed car on the road, and when you saw one you knew there was an accomplished Physician, Lawyer, business executive, etc. behind the wheel. Nowadays kids can lease them for less than a Honda. We are certainly happy for my brother, but it really made us reflect on how far Mercedes Benz has fallen. It certainly hasn't affected their image amongst consumers; if anything they are more popular than ever. However for those of who know, we know.

Mercs are still nice cars, certainly a cut above most brands. But the quality is clearly not what it used to be. As you said, there's cheap feeling materials in the cabin, squeaks and creaks on brand new cars (my brother's included), garbage MB-tex.

I could rant about BMW's fall from grace all day, but I've done so enough on this forum.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50