Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post

Let's say you are in a showroom and checking out csl and next to it is this 7k lb tank with M label.
Let's say I'm shopping around for a something fun to do a track in from time to time. An M5CS would look like a tank with an M label to me. It's all a matter of perspective which I think was probably your original point. Other than maybe a Z4 BMW really doesn't make a sports car in the classic sense.

Like all premium products BMW sells an image. They seem to be doing a great job of selling that image to people who need to make trips to Costco or haul the soccer team around.
agree they do not make classic sports car since they abandoned rwd platform. They do not even have top of the line high perf model.

The M model cars (not suvs) were about philosophy and engineering to develop dual purpose driving machines that were affordable - track on Sun and go to work on Mon. These vehicles were so good they were modded into race cars with 100k+ mi on them. This was more than an image. It was a brand on its own that people trusted and knew M engineers had passion for high perf driving.

They are probably shaking their heads now looking at these mislabeled tanks.

Time to move on …
Appreciate 0