View Single Post
      04-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

My F20 Broke :(

I thought I’d share my story from this weekend.

So I was on my way home, and as is becoming tradition for my Friday night commute, it was time to flick it into sport mode.

There I was merrily accelerating, on my way to pick up my girlfriend then head down the motorway for a weekend away. The phone rang. The thumping bass died down as the Bluetooth hands free took over the stereo. Then I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine.

After hanging up the call, I turned the stereo down. I thought maybe a stone chip had got in there somehow, but then I noticed the more I accelerated, the louder the ticking got, and when I coasted, it died down.
Immediately I assumed the worst, I got home, and got BMW emergency services on the line. It took them about an hour to come out. They removed the tupperware plastic from the engine bay, then took a sharp intake of breath, you know the way a boiler engineer does when the take the cover off for your annual maintenance and suddenly find it needs a “part”.

The engine belt had begun to disintegrate!

Now aside from my Friday night adventures, I don’t drive it hard, and I’ve only covered 2500 miles so far, so this must be a problem at manufacture.
Anyway, they drove it away and arranged for a hire car.

2 hours later, the hire car turns up, an X5 xDrive 30d M-Sport, with all the optional equipment you can think of! We arrived at our Hotel at 1am, 4 hours late, but with a 55k monster rather than my 1er.

I’ve spoken to BMW this morning and my F20 will be ready tomorrow, new belt had to be ordered in.

I have to say the X5 isn’t my cup of tea and I’m looking forward to getting my car back. Having said that, there are a few items of equipment I loved and may have to put on the shopping list for next time! Full media package, heated leather seats and parking cameras might well get ticked next time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0