06-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77 View Post
That was an NA 6 that went to a turbo four...Now were are talking about a turbo 6 going to a turbo 4?? Sounds pretty odd.
I think there are too many unknowns about the direction for the next 1er, much less the next 135i specifically. However, if some of the rumors about lighter weight prove to be true, it's quite possible that a turbo four could be more than comparable.

If the current 135i is 3,400 pounds (1540 Kg) and makes 300 hp (225 KW) (understated as it might be), then if the next car comes in at 3,100 pounds (1,400 Kg), you would get the same power to weight with about 275 hp (200 KW) and torque, numbers that Audi/VW, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Mazda already come near or surpass with four banger turbos. Let's not forget that BMW has made 1,100+ hp (800+ KW) four cylinder turbos for F1, I think they know a thing or two about four cylinders, take a look at the shape of their headquarters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Headquarters

As the owner of a lighter BMW than the 135i, I'd much rather have a lighter car with similar power to weight than a heavier car with the same power to weight.
Appreciate 0