04-23-2022, 08:10 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Great chassis, great engine. Better come with a gold bar for 30 grand though.
Yeah, I get it the ZHP package was the desired E46 back in the day. Maybe BMW added it to help support lagging sales in 2003. But 10 more HP and slightly stiffer suspension than the E46 sport suspension doesn't justify a price just $6K - $8K or so below the 2003 MSRP for this car. I owned an E46 330i convertible for 2.5 years with sport package and drove several E46 when they first came out as a replacement for my aged E30. While the convertible is obviously heavier, the E46 is a decent chassis handling and speed wise, but IMEO the E90 is the better all around car. The E46 was a bit too isolated for my taste as I judged it back in the late 1990's against the E30. The M54 is not as light revving as the N52. And the E90 suspension is a decade ahead in performance over the E46.

That car while probably in great shape and low'ish miles is not worth $30K; it's just not that good of 3-Series example.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0