01-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino GT View Post
I don't find BMW's that much different than Porsche's when it comes to reliability. They both have their known issues when it comes to parts failing and/or wearing out over time.
I find a lack of general maintenance by some people causes a lot of unnecessary problems/issues over time.

BMW's are known for having isues with the automatic headlights, battery discharging, blower motor, power steering pump, fuel pump, water pump, coolant system, leaking oil filter housing gasket, leaking valve cover gasket, worn suspension, belt tensioner, window regulators, vanos solenoids, etc, etc.

With Porsche's you have the air oil separator, rear main seal, ignition switch, battery issues, worn suspension, shifter cables, cracked coolant reservoir, water pump, window regulators, etc, etc.

The M97.21 and M97.22 engines 3.4 L in the 06-08 Cayman S have the much larger non-serviceable IMS bearing, it requires engine disassembly to replace it, and IMS bearing failure on a M97 is very rare, I'd be more concerned with bore-scoring than the IMSB on a M97 engine.

Bore-scoring has a lot to do with how you treat your car.
Buy top tier or ethanol free premium fuel. Instead of changing the oil every 12k miles or once a year, change it every 5k miles or every 6 months.
Never let your Porsche engine idle to warm it up. Start out slowly and keep engine rpm below 3000 rpm until the engine is fully warm.
What is the thinking behind “never let your Porsche idle to warm it up”?
Appreciate 0