Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I get it, you don't like the government improving safety. Some people will complain about any "regulation". Just like the fun people who complain about Helmet and Seat Belt laws and die in accidents where those would have saved them. Some people want the freedom to die. I get it.
Because the erosion of personal freedoms has worked out so well in history. I posted this because I think this is an important law that is flying under cover. Fact is this is a law to be written by unelected regulatory boards (NHTSA and DOT). What could possibly go wrong.

Here is a reasoned and well thought out editorial.

Editorial: Why Are People Worried About Automotive 'Kill Switch' Mandates?

The truth is that nobody really knows what will happen in 2026 because the relevant legislation gives an incredible amount of leeway to government regulators. Based on how the law is written, the NHTSA can basically interpret impairment any way it likes and decide how driver monitoring systems assess this and ultimately respond.

I would wager that’s a problem in itself.

It’s not like we haven’t seen mission creep in literally every government agency that’s ever existed.

The DOT just recently stated that creating a national network that permanently linked modern vehicles to government surveillance grids might reduce “potential crash scenarios” by 12 percent.

Maybe things would have gone more smoothly if this wasn’t buried in an expansive, 1,039-page piece of legislation nobody had time to read before voting. I certainly would have felt better about it if it had been part of a document focused entirely on automotive safety regulations and given time for critical assessments. But it wasn’t and that has upset people who are now trying to express concerns that are being strategically dismissed on the grounds that they’re not qualified to even discuss the topic.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...dates-44503639

If you don't have a issue with this, good for you but I see this as the camel's nose under the tent.
Appreciate 0