12-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
+1, E82 is the last generation of well-proportioned, unique 1 series
Considering the e82 is the only 1 series BMW has ever made so far, thats not exactly saying much, especially if you consider the fact that you pretty much cannot see anything on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
And yet BMW thought the 5erGT would? Thats an idiotic reason.

Bring the 1er hatch over...hell brand it as a Mini for all I care and keep the price around the GTi and you will have a hit on your hands.

Dont let slow sales of the A3 deter you (BTW Ive seen more Refreshed A3s on the road than 5GTs) Audi has aweful lease programs and the want 45K for what is essentially an Audi badged R32.
Sales in the U.S. for premium hatchbacks have been... lets be kind, and say disappointing. The Ford Fiesta, which was praised by nearly everybody in Europe came to U.S. to really high expectations. It handled beautifully; looked fantastic; came with a really great, quality interior, and was attractively priced, but is currently being outsold by most of its competitors, including the Chevy Aveo.

The 1-series hatch makes no sense in a country where most people would look at the car and say BMW has gone to shit, because they equate hatchbacks with cheapness.

To be honest, I like where this car is headed. It seems more in line with the rest of BMW's lineup, instead of being the slightly awkward looking cousin that was shepherded in.

I wonder if this increase in size is supposed to signal that the 3-Series might be moving slightly more upscale?

Last edited by Coni; 12-14-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0