08-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I agree, fake noise outside is stupid. Beyond, what's useful for pedestrian safety anyway. Engines make noise as a consequence of operation, so it makes sense.

Loud electric cars would be not much different than putting an outward facing speaker on a Civic playing Ferrari 458 exhaust sound. I really don't want to hear someone's electric car playing 100+ dB SPL synthesized noise.
Agree. And it is not like electric cars are silent, they make the same sounds as ICE by just moving through the air and the same tire noise as the treads roll over the tarmac. Most normal street car's exhaust sound (i.e. a non-fartcan Civic) are drowned out by ambient city noise anyway. In less populated areas, tire noise and air rush noise are prominent.

Adding in fake engine sounds is stupid. Gone are the days of the E85/86 where BMW purposefully piped real intake sound into the cabin.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50