View Single Post
      08-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
1) I will agree that the I8 and the Z4 are sports cars, to be certain, even without a manual option. I also think, as previously mentioned, that either car would be exponentially more fun and engaging for the driver if they offered one (not sure if even possible on the i8, but I digress).
To a select number of buyers that would add to the fun, no doubt. But we know that the number of people who want that option is shrinking steadily. We also know that this drop in demand is due in no small part to the fact that the manual transmission went from being the higher performance option (and for buyers of a sports car, sports sedan, or sports coupe, we know up front that performance going to be a pretty high priority) to being the an option that, in most cases, slightly hinders performance. It's just the normal effects of new technology as time marches on. We can't blame BMW nor any other corporation (its an industry trend - not one that is unique to BMW, after all) for eliminating features that increasingly fewer customers want.

Quote:
2) I've driven a new 3 series many times as a loaner vehicle. Both the previous F series and the new G series. These do not appear to have any sporting aspirations in my opinion. While very nice cars for sure, I didn't feel like they were any more fun to drive than a Lexus E class or a MB C300. Steering, road feel, acceleration, handling, none of this felt 'sporty'.

Just my 2 cents.
Sure, the vehicles have grown in size, gotten heavier, and are less toss-able. I would agree that makes them less sporty. But here again, it's not limited to BMW.

I notice you didn't offer up examples of sport sedans on sale today or, even better, perhaps a set of criteria which you think can be used to distinguish sport sedans from other sedans on the market today. As such, it's not clear to me that there is anything objectively identifiable about BMW's products that make them less qualified to be deemed sport sedans than anyone else's.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
clee1982797.50