View Single Post
      09-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Some random car photos that I've taken and some basic tips:

Framing: Besides the obvious rules of photograhy, I tend to use more background in my photos. What I mean by this is that I don't usually take photos of the car filling the entire photo because they tend to be less interesting. It is easy to do this with an exotic, or heavily modded car, but for most cars, they need something else to help them out.

Lighting: If you don't have the fancy equipment, use post-processing to showcase the car by highlighting it and blur/darken the background but it's typically best to keep it natural.

It's all about the angles: Don't be afraid to roll around on the ground! I hate using a tripod because it limits me so much, so it's easier to do this in full lighting during the daytime. I love super close-ups as well because it is easy to create something that resembles abstract art when the viewer isn't quite sure what they're looking at right away.

Keep it simple: Don't have two focal points that fight each other. You need to strike a balance between the car and the background. Don't pick a background that is too busy, instead, choose something that will either blend in so your eye is drawn to the car or complement the car add to the overall photo.

Don't go crazy with post-processing: Yes, post-processing can be your friend, but it also can be your worst enemy! My rule of thumb is to use post-processing to try and make the photo look as it did in real life to make up for my lack of expensive equipment. There is a stylized way of making a photo look surreal, but this is not something everyone can do very easily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0