View Single Post
      02-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #31
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Depends on the target market, which as others have already stated, makes this question difficult to answer.

The US market favors SUVs in particular, which significantly hurts the 5 series sedan more than any other series. That and the fact that 3 series sedan is almost the size of a 5 series sedan, it makes it a tough sell at that price.

The 5 series sedan in the US market gets smashed in from all sides from the rest of BMWs lineup, which serve their respective buyers frankly better than the 5 series sedan. The X5 is way more car for the money compared to a 540i. So you really have to want a sedan to swing for it.

Don't get me wrong, the 5 series sedan still sells, it just doesn't sell as well, and depreciates harder because of it. It is a hard sell in the US. The 3 series sedan in the US is suffering a similar fate to the X3 stealing volume, though not to the same lengths due to cheaper price of the 330i (compared to 530i) and M340i (compared to 540i) allowing for a bigger market capture.

Hence the 3 series does not suffer (particularly the M340i, which has a performance edge over the 540i for cheaper, somewhat harder to get allocations for, and is otherwise a great value in that price range) the same amount of depreciation as the 5 series equivalents.
Appreciate 0