View Single Post
      01-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #14
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

Update

With nearly 2000km on the brakes I am still happy.

I think the ceramic pads are much easier to modulate. They take effect quickly and are very responsive to pressure on the brake pedal. Yeah, that sounds funny when I re-read it, but they point is they are progressive, predictable and not grabby or snatchy.

I have had to stomp on the brakes twice for dozy people with no lane discipline. Instant and decisive reaction from the brakes. Even after many motorway miles with the brakes untouched and therefore cold (5 degrees C). So, cold bite, even at 130km/h is at least as good as the semi-metallic originals.*

When traffic on country roads has allowed I have braked hard repeatedly and not found any fading. Sure, cold weather and sensible public road driving shouldn't produce fade, but it's good to know that these pads aren't a downgrade in terms of street performance.

The pads have been hot enough to create a visible transfer layer. Since the ceramic principle is adhesive friction, I expect the layer to last longer than with a semi-metallic. Hot semi-mets make a great transfer layer too, and then brake really well. However, I find that they are quick to rub the layer off again in normal driving.

*If you want more, then I have good experience with DS Performance pads. Still legal, but much more agressive. Of course, they squeak and squeal...and dust even more than standard pads
Appreciate 0