View Single Post
      05-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2005b View Post
ttimbo, this is not a tune. It's a cracking method.
There is only one firm that cracked the BMW's ECU and is reselling the crack/flashing methodology.

This firm is owned by a person I know. He is credited for most of the cracks and flashing methodologies out there for most of the car brands (VW,Japanese, BMWs etc).

For now the only solution of flashing BMW's ECU is pulling it out, drilling a small hole or opening the box, both leave marks.
The current method used by 100% of BMW F** tuners was also developed by him and distributed by him.

He is completing the development of OBD only crack&load method, which should be ready for deployment soon enough and will be distributed to worldwide tuners, just like the current method.

There are 2 steps for flashing an ECU: crack (bypass checksums, sniff & rewrite protocols etc) and load a tune. The tuning industry mostly build the remaps (tuning table) without dealing with cracking (the hardest part). So the method of OBD loading will soon get distributed to tuners and they will load their own maps. Just like 99% of the tunes out there.

I would guess that if you know a good reputable tuner, they will buy the new tool.
Could this be applied by e.g. MHD flasher (after some more R&D) or similar? Or would a Cobb Tuning Accessport kind of a separate specific device be needed? MHD flasher is a software for android devices to flash BMW N54 engines. Nice affordable tool since a device (other than your phone or tablet) is not needed, just a cable.
Appreciate 0