View Single Post
      09-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I agree about running LAN drops but I disagree with running Cat6. You want Cat6a. There is a difference. Depending on the size of your home, you may or may not be running up on the max distance for 10GbaseT. I forget but Cat6 will support up 10GbaseT up to about just over 50 meters. Cat6a supports the full 100 meters in the standard Ethernet spec.

I agree with the recommendation to run at least 2 Cat6a drops per location. I would think about doing 3 to 4. There are various technologies out there which leverage the use of Category cabling for transmission.

Wireless. The big elephant in the room. If you're doing a full gut of the house, you can now pull proper drops into ceiling locations where you can properly place access points. You can now do a proper wireless system without resorting to using trash repeaters/extenders, have roaming, and the best performance.

I also disagree with doing a simple structured wiring cabinet. If you have to do it, opt for a large cabinet. You'll find the various switches such as PoE switches will not fit well or operate properly in these cabinets without ill effects from heat being trapped in there with the panel closed. I would find a central location where you can have a conduit nearby which you can pull additional wiring. I have a 2" conduit in the middle of my house going from the attic all the way down to the basement. I prefer a wall rack with your wiring pulled and terminated to a patch panel. Make sure there is available power in that location preferably on a dedicated circuit.

A couple of RG6 coax cables per drop location is also advised.

If you're considering security cameras, the suggestion to have the prewires done is a good one.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
CANGRKE70813.50