View Single Post
      06-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
qwerty
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Thumbs down bad BMW service experience (Bayside BMW - NY)

My 2006 325i was in the BMW of Bayside (New York) for five days for following things:
-software upgrade
-emission recall
-oil change (out of my pocket)
-ticking noise coming from front wheel when driven over bump
-grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel and service engine light regarding front brake
-Failing to start
-whining noise coming from the engine
-condensation in head lamps

Before I describe what they did, I have to share my general experience. The technician (Mr. Dawson) was very nice. He took his time to explain me what he did to the car. However, I was pissed off at the SA and his manager. When I told SA manager about the free tank of gas for emission recall, he played dumb. But the tech knew about the free gas. WTF. So I showed the SA manager the service bulletin stating that dealer is required to top off the gas. Then the SA manger told me that topping off gas tank is not same as a free tank of gas. He said topping off gas is giving customer few bucks for gas, literally, couple of dollars. I was so pissed off. He thought that I don't know what top off means. Then someone told him that it is upto $50. Anyways, he ask a guy to gas up the car. I don't know which octane he put but the tank was nearly full to only 90%. (Such a cheap sh**t.). What pissed me off more is, on the way home, the engine was knocking. :mad: I thought the emission recall may cause this so I called Mr Dawson the technician. He said the engine shouldn't knock. It leads me to believe that the guy put regular gas instead of recommended super. :mad: I won't take the car to the service again. I am scared what they would do to fix the knocking. I'll burn off the gas and fill it with super and see if the knocking goes away. BTW will regular gas and knocking damage my engine?

So here is what the dealer did.
-software upgrade: SA said they only do software upgrade only if there is a problem with the car. So they just enabled the day time running light.
-emission recall: The report says this was done.
-oil change (out of my pocket): They charged me $100 for this. How can I verify if they actually changed the oil?
-ticking noise coming from front wheel when driven over bump: The tech fixed this. He said it was due to some suspension stuff.
-grinding noise coming from the front driver side wheel and service engine light regarding front brake: The tech said the brake pad sensor was hanging loose. He replaced the sensor.
-Failing to start: The tech said he couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll just call the roadside assistance if it happens again.
-whining noise coming from the engine: The tech said he cannot hear any whining noise. I even provided him the recording but nothing is done. This was the main reason to visit the service. Maybe they know about it but have no solution. The whining noise seems louder now.
-condensation in head lamps: SA said this happens to all the BMW cars and it is normal. BullSh*t!.

As you figured out already, I DON'T recomment this BMW of Bayside service at all. The tech was nice but SA and his manager are cheapskates full of lies and bullsh*ts. Does anyone know any good dealer in the tri-state area?
Appreciate 0