View Single Post
      05-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by han405 View Post
The sad part is both the Miata and S2000 are guess what, RWD!

BMW wishes a FWD Z2 will drive well like a Miata, or even a S2000. Well, actually, BMW wishes they could build a roadster like Miata.
In fact, the Miata is THE benchmark for entry level roadsters. It has been praised by people world wide for over 15 years. I really can't imagine a FWD Z2 can even touch the MX-5 Miata in price and performance.

By performance, i don't just mean engine displacement or HP output. drive-ability, handling, fun factor are all part of it.
OMG you are right, I checked the Mazda website because I was in disbelief. The Mazda Miata is rear-wheel drive. Mazda didn't shy away from RWD because the car has only a 4-cyl, they didn't shy away because probably 1/2 of its customers think it is FWD (BMW has this idea that they shouldn't develop RWD 1 and Z2 series because most owners are unaware according to surveys).

The truth is that Mazda had the conviction to make this car RWD regardless of development costs because that is the best way to make it perform - best way to keep its fan base.

BMW should too.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0