10-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I am considering letting the dealer change pads on the M-Sport brakes. I have heard a few stories about them being more complicated to work on than the simple brakes I had on the 116i. Besides, they don't wear out so often, as they are very over engineered for the engine power I have in the 3 cylinder engine.
I comtemplating doing this too (ie letting the dealer do it) but the M-Sport brakes (both OE discs and pads) are so over-priced that I feel I have to do it myself to save money. The cost for let's say 4 new M-Sport discs and pads at the stealers will run you 15-16.000 NOK plus labour. That's just insane. Yes they are 340/345mm discs but still. These parts can be found for 4-5.000 NOK (Brembo or equal quality) at autodoc or others.

Having an on going E30 restoration I need all available car-money at hand to finish that build to put it up for sale come spring 2019

And having watched videos of people replacing discs and pads on their M-Sport brakes I know they're no different than any other brakes. It should be very easy in fact.

So while I have good discs and pads up front, the rear pads needs a replacement. And if I'm to replace the rears, I will do the front pads as well.

And the parking brake is worn (78.000 km), and kind of sluggish and rather on/off in it's behaviour rather than progressive and co-relating with the amount of "clicks" you apply to the parking brake lever so those will be done too..

On a sidenote, are your M-Sport brakes OE fitted or aftermarket? And how do you like them? Nice and firm pressure and feel, normal pedal travel and generally a strong bite when you drop the anchor?

Sorry to the OP if this derails, but to stay on topic, you would be just fine reusing the springs and pins etc, they will hold up!!
Appreciate 0