View Single Post
      07-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #415
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Leclerc has given lots of points away, 78 points so far this year in crashes and reliability retirements, F1 is too close at the top these days to win a title and throw away that many points or not take them from your rivals.
As the top drivers are so darn good, the smallest pilot error, car issue, pit crew mistake or questionable team order, can significantly compromise qualifying or race results. Verstappen, Leclerc, Perez and Sainz had their share of tough luck this season, to the benefit of Hamilton and Russell (who would have indisputably scored less points if the top 4 had managed to end all races in a decent way).

In my book, the best qualifying lap of 2021 was one that did not get to the finish line (and so without time): Verstappen taking his car to the very limit in Q3 at 2021 Jeddah in an incredibly bold fashion. Some may say that he was recklessly on a crash course. Others (including myself) may say that he deserves respect for having tried to perform a brilliant lap around that very dangerous circuit. True that he could have kept his car safe from harm by taking less risks, but he accepted the risk. Most drivers don't, out of fear to throw it all away.

YouTuber: "Just so you understand how insane this lap was by Verstappen, watch the brake/throttle telemetry data after turn 2. He never lifts on turns 5-6 and the rest of the lap, he is later on the brakes and earlier on the throttle than Lewis, who in relation to their laps is a tenth or two down. Downright insane shit from Max":

I hope that the gap between Verstappen and Leclerc narrows again so that these two main rivals can fight it out. The season ain't over yet. Still 10 races and a Sprint (Brazil) to go.
NYG10744.00