Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Yeah - I think we're different ages, and at different stages in our lives. I'm nearly 50, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I've read all the stuff about having confidence etc. but it just doesn't work for me with women. Work - I have no issue with confidence. But personally, I'm a mess.

I co-founded a company 7 years ago, and it's now valued at about $75 million. I still own a small chunk of it, and the cash I'm about to drop is only a minor chunk of that.

I have a decent (underpaid however as I am in a "start-up") salary - decent enough to lease an M3 and enjoy it. Being a shy introvert means I don't like putting myself out there. I very rarely (about once a year) go to bars or restaurants alone, and even then I am unlikely to talk to anyone other than the staff. I have no problem having a conversation with people - but I absolutely suck at the small talk or chatting someone up. My stomach ties up in knots and I can barely mumble a few words.

I'm from another country too (hence the NZ on my name) but that doesn't seem to change much (for me). I have had one woman come over and tell my boss "couldn't you just listen to him all day" but she was at least 70 so didn't really excite me to try to get her number.

Unfortunately, I have no hobbies or interests other than work. I have been actively looking for a hobby that interests me, but everything I am interested in is either unsuitable to do at home in the evenings (kart racing, flying) or something I have done before and thus less interesting (stamp collecting, coin collecting, glass engraving, model building... the list goes on). The Ferrari I want is more likely a 308 (and the Lamborghini a Countach) and part of that is it might give me a hobby to be able to work on the cars, especially the Ferrari - they're actually fairly basic and use standard components. I've been to a few BMW M events, but at times feel I'd rather talk to the local mechanic about stuff. I dunno - I might be suffering from mild grade depression too - that doesn't help.

Thank - I appreciate the offer! I'll keep that in mind.
that is awesome! i'm pursuing a lot of entrepreneurship related stuff on campus, we won 3rd place at a pitch competition for a blockchain based car project but we all ended up giving up on it. not my proudest moment to realize that as the "founder" we were giving up on the project, but lack of funding + pressure from parents and even myself to finish my degree resulted in that. after i get it we'll see what happens, but #1 priority right now is finishing school, plan is to keep it as a back up just in case.

i don't go to bars/restaurants alone - what i do is call a few friends up so we can all go, at least going into the spot i know people beforehand. chances are i run into someone i know, but its more of a security kinda thing. if all else fails, it's drinks with the boys which is always fun. 308 and a countach sounds hella fun, hope you enjoy them in good health.

honestly though, women love passion for some reason. i matched with a girl on tinder in school, and in the suburbs we started talking. she said that we should hang out some time, and i was planning on going to a car meet so i asked if she was interested in cars, said yes so i was like come along. turns out that she had no idea about anything relating cars but just enjoyed me nerding out on some cool BMW's. you can probably portray that with coin collecting or glass engraving - coins are currency, people like currency. im sure some that you have are like limited edition productions valued at x500 the face value; glass engraving sounds like a fun thing as well.

another convo starter could be your business, without giving any numbers. people are interested in doing their own thing, only a select few actually push through with it. also something to keep in mind: honesty is the best deceiver. if you can be honest about some stuff you don't really need to be 100% honest about other stuff - if you can be upfront with you liking different things than a common guy, no one really needs to know you're a shy introvert that is doing very well financially.
Appreciate 1