06-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
With the latest crapy design choices, cheap CLAR platforms shared between Mini and some BMW models, FWD, fake xDrive (Haldex) that hurt the true RWD biased xDrive name and confuses people, some terrible materials and shortcuts taken in some aspects, BMW becomes the new Toyota.
I guess the Alpina will become the luxury, while BMW will become just an ordinary brand.

Of course that I really hate where BMW headed lately but the idiots at the HQ are voting for the wallet not for the image, reputation and for what the name used to represent.
I'm one of the first to shit on BMW because it's so near and dear to my heart, and I'm an old fart in a young body, but you're reaching.

Audi and Mercedes have been using Haldex under their quattro or 4Matic names for decades and no one really gives a hoot. Same at BMW. Nothing is hurting their image.

It's just 'us' who moan about their questionable choices.

It is true, though, that with the introduction of Competition, CS, GTS/CSL models, the M GmbH product strategy seems to have changed a bit in the sense that the base M GmbH models cater to a wider audience who are not so much into driving the piss out of their cars on track or in the mountains. And I hate how they're pushing the M brand onto other models, but they're not the only company doing that (and again, people are eating it up big time).

And no, I don't see Toyota having multiple sub-brands and sport packages to increase profits per car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Of course Alpina is in high demand: people want to still buy a NA custom quality vehicle while they can, before the “new generic” BMW bullshit kicks in.

I guess that the Alpina owner was the smartest guy in here; embracing an electric future is not much left in there for them anyway.
ALPINA doesn't make an NA-engined car if that's what you meant. Their engines particularly aren't as bespoke as they used to be either. Mine's got basically a standard BMW engine in it.