View Single Post
      01-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #224
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycf87 View Post
I'm not sure if you guys are looking into the details over your results after the VIN decoder but from what I've found, bimmer.work and others might work but aren't accurate. I looked up several different BMW's with DCT on Carvana with pictures, and the VIN decoders were pretty good on matching the colors but the transmissions noted from the decoder came out manual even though they were all DCT.
In 'BMW speak':
  • no torque convertor (such as 6MT and M-DCT) = 'manual'
  • torque convertor (such as ZF8) = 'auto'
Hence, VIN specs stating an M-DCT transmission as 'manual' is accurate (though, admittedly, a tad confusing).

Reposting post #179 of this thread clarifying that misconception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
As all the other decoders are dead, I tried MDecoder but it behaves strangly:
For my E28 628CSi with WBAEA3100B5571008 it says that it can't find any info
For my E61 545i WBANH31030B489526 it finds the info, but with some errors like it says it's a manual while in fact it's an automatic. All the rest is quite accurate on that car.
I wonder why it can't find my 628CSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuliman View Post
I've seen a lot of cars listed as manuals with the automatic as an add-on further down in the details. Agree it's odd, but it's been accurate where I've come across it.
"MANUAL"/"HECK" is indicated when the transmission does not feature a torque convertor.

Hence, within the BMW transmission ecosystem, in VIN specifications, for example an M-DCT will be indicated as "MANUAL"/"HECK" instead of "AUT".

Repost explaining this misconception:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Of course it would make sense to have 'the pedal count' as criterion (2 = automatic | 3 = manual) or the type of gear shifting (digital/electronic = automatic | mechanical = manual) or, simply, the possibility of automatic gear shifting (present = automatic | absent = manual). But for BMW, the torque convertor is the criterion (present = automatic | absent = manual).

M-DCT (code 2MK/S2MK/S2MKA in VIN specs | "M twin-clutch transm. with Drivelogic" | "M Doppelkupplungsgetriebe mit Drivelogic")
= no torque convertor = manual transmission in BMW's book.

Therefore, "MANUAL"/"HECK" (instead of "AUT") is indicated in VIN specs of any F87 M2. See also for example here.

See what is said from 01:12 onwards:

See also here from 01:55 onwards: