View Single Post
      05-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #99
DriverZ
Rep
Drives: 116i ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazzi
To keep a long story short.... Firstly, one of the ways to detune the 116 and the 114 is to install an exhaust which is smaller in diameter then the bigger 118 brother.
2" exhaust from cat-back is an effective way to detune the car. This can be seen even on the standard engine dyno graph.
Secondly, Chiptronic is one of those companies which produces the modules for many other tuners for many years now....Other tuners buy the modules with programmes from Chiptronic and just rebrand them
Doubt it whether they would do a "non-such-effective" tune especially that the piggy-back tuning method is based on boosting the standard signal instead of a totaly new timing, ignition and fuel map.
Thanks for your input Kamazzi,

I'm aware that the tunning market works like this...and to be honnest with you I was never a "fan" of the big known guys. I also know that big guys are used to adapt tunning platforms comming from smaller tunners. This is the case on piggybacks but reflash tunes as well...

Regardless the true origin of a tunning platform...the big names had always stand for "reliability" and "cosistency" when it comes to performance and tunning specs.

When ACS announces certain performance gains for a certain model , seems unlikely that data is manipulated or mistaken. Especialy when it comes for the likes of ACS that they hold a HUGE brand name ,selling millions of euros in not only tunes but other products too its seems unlikely to me that they ruin/risk their name for the 116i tune specs ,which is rather inexistent to the most of the markets.

I could accept your claim on the restrictive exhaust , but then again seems unlikely to me that ACS would bother tweaking 116 data to risk their reputation as long as their "fish n chips" is the high performance engines.
Appreciate 0