07-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #367
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I saw it live on TV. Devastating.

The point I tried to make: true that Russell may have lost a chance to get Silverstone race points by leaving his damaged car (DNF) to check Zhou, but that was absolutely the right thing to do. Regardless the presence of marshals nearby Zhou and regardless whether Russell could (not) do anything specific for Zhou, those first moments are usually crucial. Those moments were not broadcast for privacy reasons (unlike the fatal Senna crash of 1994).

Just imagine for a moment that you were Zhou, hanging inside your seat belts in the cockpit between the fence and barriers, likely dizzy and disoriented, unable to get out of the car on your own, with a full fuel tank (lap 1), hoping that the car would not catch fire (remember the Grosjean crash). And suddenly Russell pops up near your side to comfort you as best as he can. That's top class on a human level.
100% agreed.

My first thoughts when the crash was shown on TV was that :
1. Zhou was lucky the car hit the catch fence wheels first and not cockpit first.

and

2. The results could have been horrific if the car had of cleared or even hit the top of the fence and was whipped over top.
I think that there will be a review of that particular area of catch fence.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 3
Artemis28911.50
EdM53852.50