Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Now the serviceability part regarding the E90 I can't agree with. I do agree with it not being as easy as the E30 in some respects (like the heater core...) but I found the E90 suspension easier than an E30. 100,000-mile tune ups with the E90. The serp belt is easy as pie. Brakes are easy. Cooling system hoses are just fucking plain-ass stupid, but every BMW bast 2000 has the stupid hose connectors. Oil pan is a bit of a bitch. Valve cover is a bit more difficult, but the M20 was meant to be removed at 30,000-mile intervals. Coolant change on an E90? It doesn't get easier than bleeding with an electric water pump.

The E46 is just as much a PIA as the E90 is.
Ehhh, that's just not true

I had to drill and tap my own drain hole in the diff, because who wants to drain fluids.

No dip stick makes every oil change worse.

Most of the hardware that goes into the motor is one time use, so things like replacing the water pump means new all things.

Every project begins with a time consuming disassembly of the large plastic array above the engine.

The valve cover is plastic, so if you're not careful it cracks when removed after it gets brittle with heat/time.

800 times more control arms means every suspension project is a PITA.

Entire exhaust is one section, so any project where the exhaust needs to come out you have to take out everything from the headers back-- instead of just the piece in the way of your project.

Battery replacement needs a computer, and they last half as long for reasons unknown, even though the function of the battery programming is longer battery life.

TPMS sensors are only worse than the rotational based TPMS system used in the e46 (and e9X outside of the USA). They make wheels need a ton of weight to balance and require batteries. Plus you have to buy them.

Fuel filter is in the gas tank instead of accessible.

Rear main seal requires a special removal tool and 3 stage sealant instead of just... replacing it.

just things I'm remembering off the top of my head-- sold the car 6 years ago, so I'm sure I'm missing a ton of things than made me want to blow it up. I generally enjoy working on cars, but every time I did a project on that one I came in telling my wife it was time to sell it. Freaking miserable.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1