View Single Post
      07-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #447
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So, if we can get off the ///M train for a second. Having spent a decent amount of time with a variant of every non-M 3-Series from the E21 to the F30, I'd say the E90 was the last of the classic BMW 3-Series sports sedan, which most 3-Series aficionados describe as a rear-wheel drive chassis with a naturally aspirated in-line 6 engine and a manual transmission. The F30 did not drive like a 3-Series, the G20 is not offered with a manual in the US Market; both those cars went soft and lost focus, while the Cadillac ATS/CTS 4 captured the classic BMW 3-series driving dynamics.

Yet I don't think I ever claimed "the E90 was the pinnacle of BMW or the last good car they made" (that'd be the E86 Coupe...). But I think the E90 has a better base in-line 6 engine and a better suspension than the E46. While most young BMW enthusiasts wax on poetically about the E30 as the most reliable and durable 3-Series, I'd argue the E90 was even better. I have a combined 670,000 mile and 34-year seat/wrenching time with both. In my fleet at this moment, I have a variant of the E36, E46, and E90. I still say the E30 had the best suspension design and is still the most engaging to drive.
I know what you mean about the E90 being the tipping point for change at least as far as the 3 series is concerned. I have to say I did prefer the E46 and even more the E36. Everyone has their preferences as to how modern they want a car to feel. Do you have to step up in the line now to get characteristics you would get in the base cars before? Yes. A lot of this is the EPS tuning.

To say that the E86 was the last good car they made is not something I can get onboard with, and I owned a Z4M. Maybe it was the best car they made in some respects, but last good car? I don't think so. Would I want an F30? Not really, but I have enjoyed the F80, F82, F22, and F87 and think they are good products.

Last edited by chris719; 07-04-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00