View Single Post
      01-05-2020, 04:26 AM   #1
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

ATE Ceramic pads and Zimmermann drilled discs

After having some serious scares on wet motorways I decided it was time for something other than plain discs. Speeds over 100km/h in rainy weather means the discs are covered in water, that takes just under a second to clear off with pressure on the middle pedal. That equates to 36 meters at the legal speed limit.

I find that quite disconcerting

Since wind and other conditions means the discs aren't equally wet, they also grip at slightly different times, meaning that I can expect a slight change of direction as I am pooping myself waiting for the brakes to work

I know the car periodically applies the brakes lightly when the rain sensor tells it too, with the aim of keeping the discs dry. It just isn't effective enough. I also know that this system has 3 settings. As well as the wet discs problem being "wheel design sensitive".

Anyway, seeking to solve this problem and reduce the dusting provided by factory pads I decided to fit ATE Ceramic pads and Zimmermann drilled discs. On all 4 corners.

Now, before you all tell me they will crack: This is a street car, that doesn't see any trackdays, so I am not worried.

I used to track an Impreza and have worn out many EBC grooved/dimpled discs and Mintex and Ferodo semi-track pads. However, there aren't that many options for a humble single-piston 300mm disc equipped F20. Front pads are especially limited as most aftermarket pads are for the 312mm fronts...or the M-Sport brakes.

Finding useful info this ATE/Zimmermann combination is close to impossible. Most posts are years old and usually filled with the same knee-jerk comments:
"Drilled discs crack" and "Ceramic pads don't work cold".

So! I have decided to conduct the testing and post my findings here, for other curious souls to read.

Right now I have only 200km on the new components, so they aren't even run-in, let alone bedded-in. I haven't been on a wet motorway yet, but last night, I drove in just barely freezing conditions and the brakes take effect immediately. That's nice to know

The real question here is: Does anyone care?

..and did I go on for too long for anyone to read this far
Attached Images

Appreciate 0