2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
If you don't care about wiring them, then I would get a sonos amp and any outdoor speaker you want. Not sure why anyone needs the sonos outdoors speakers if they have to be wired back to the amp either way.
This partnership between Sonance and SONOS is more of a marketing move than anything with a significant technical benefit. The SONOS-branded Sonance speakers are basically just conventional speakers.

While I haven't spoken to any of my friends at Sonance about exactly how deep the tailoring went towards designing these SONOS-orientated speaker products, I don't expect anything earth shattering. I will say, there are some small accommodations that you can do if you know what specific amplifier will be driving the speaker. This is the big advantage of using active monitors, over passive monitors and an external amplifier. Perhaps Sonance made the speaker more sensitive (think: efficient), at the cost of sacrificing power handling you don't need with a SONOS ConnectAmp? 🤔

For those unaware... Sonance is an absolutely first-rate architectural speaker company. I love how their in-ceiling speakers let the entire midrange and tweeter (not just the tweeter) pivot on an eyeball. I'm a big fan.