03-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My OPINION on running multiple speakers in mono being a better option in MOST outdoor installations is because the stereo separation can often work against you. For stereo to work properly you should be equidistant to both speakers. Often times in outdoor installations stereo imaging is low on the priority list. Usually you just want to fill the space evenly, and achieve a pleasant frequency balance while providing enough output. Many times listeners will be very close to one speaker, and very far from the other. If you're using a stereo signal, instruments and vocalists panned hard to one channel can become inaudible, totally messing up the experience.

All this being said, if there's a relatively confined listening area, and you can achieve proper speaker positioning, then of course I'd run a stereo signal.

I don't want to digress too much, but this same theory of running mono also applies to in-ceiling speaker locations in common distributed "whole home" audio systems. Usually the speakers are placed in relation to lighting fixtures, and not listening positions. For this same reason mono is often a better choice.

BTW... While this is my opinion; it is coming from a person with a degree in audio engineering, and decades of experience designing, installing, and tuning audio (and video) systems.
I don't disagree with anything you've said....my back yard set up has the hot tub placed in between the two speakers.....so decent separation and the front porch set up is kind of enclosed with and separation works really well.
Appreciate 1