11-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #49
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
Thought I'd dig the thread back up with an update. Got a puma-case registred and the car went in for almost 1 week in the workshop. Engine-out-job indeed. Timing-chain and all related parts, guiding rails, tensioners etc changed.
Sounds right now from the outside .. sounds like a dieselengine should.

Bit annoying though that a I have another noise heard from inside the cabin now that was not there before. Long story short;
1. Car went in for standard first service. At this point there was this outside-swish-swish-noise from the engine, but a clean engine-noise from within the cabin. The workshop acknowledged there was something wrong indeed but could not fix it instantly, instead puma-case was registered and car booked for a new appointment.
2. When I picked my car up from service I noticed this new sound from within the cabin. At somewhat higher revs pressing the accelerator gave a new noise I had not heard before. Figured they might have messed about a bit with the chain/tensioners in an attempt to solve the initial problem and I didn't care since car was going in for the major puma-case-work in a couple of weeks. Thought both noises probably go away then.
3. Car went in for the puma-case-job and when I picked up the car the swish-swish noise from the outside was gone but the other sound from within the cabin was still there. Don't know how to describe it but engine sounds awful when revving/accelerating, like a loud ticking-noise from around 2000rpm and up.

Haven't bothered them with it. Don't know if I will. Don't have the time and energy right now.
Sounds like what I thought was a problem when I first got mine.
Would you call it a raspy noise as the revs get to the higher end just before changing up? I had a couple of loaners while my car was in for the chain etc and a 114d with 300 miles on the clock sounded exactly the same so I stopped worrying about this noise.

Keep an ear on it but I don't think it's a problem and you will get used to it eventually.