View Single Post
      06-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
however I would also say that F30 is much better than F20 in pretty much all aspects but cost. I have test driven both on few occassions and as far as steering is concerned I would say that F30 has sharper inputs in Sports mode but the feel is very similar. also 320d with 180 BHP is more than adequate for most and in M sports looks superb
As I said I like the looks of the F30 much more than the F20 and it is also more practical, but due to costs I will go with an F20, which I am sure I will love once I own it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have driven some Minis on twisty tracks, and I think the F20 handles better. The Mini understeers too much on corner exits. The F20 feels more comfortable and less like a racing car, but it is very capable when you push it.

I had a very even fight on a recent autoX race with a very modified Mini with 220 hp. My 136 hp F20 116i had much better balance through the slalom parts, but I did of course lose some time on the straight bits

When it comes to fun on a twisty road, you should perhaps also consider the Toyota GT86, also known as Subaru BRZ. I haven't driven it myself, but based on reviews, it seems to be the class leader when it comes to handling and driver feedback. It is probably also quite reliable and affordable. Not quite as practical as an F20, though.

I agree the MINI under steers heavily when exiting corners but it wasn't a big issue for me . If the F20 handles better than MINI's then it is only an extra point for it and I am happy you told me this...it just makes my decision easier.

If I wouldn't have needed a more practical car for me and my family I would have went with the new MINI GP. I like the Toyota GT 86 and equal Subaru but they are less practical than the F20 and also I want something with 4/5 doors.
Appreciate 0