01-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #199
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Averaging well over 25k miles per year for 40 years is surprising.

Like getting specialized health checkups, you can find many people that never did them and still lived a long time. It doesn't mean the check is worthless, especially if you have a family history of a problem. I also haven't paid for a Blackstone but with some engines prone to certain problems, like the S54 (the family history) and it's rod bearings that have shown to wear through, finding the problem before there is a problem has value. We have seen engines following the manufacturers recommendations still have problems, especially regularly tracked cars.
Last I checked, manufacturers of street cars don't recommend tracking tracking their cars and keeping the warranty. But you can bring up a new issue I didn't address to try and make a counterpoint my position. If one tracks their car, they probably shouldn't follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Not like that's not obvious...

Or you can point to unique situations of low-rate production engines with over-stressed parts. Yay!
Appreciate 0