SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Psychologically

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But braking with individual wheels has no effect when you are aquaplaning, since there is no grip. It will however prevent excessive wheelspin that can cause trouble when grip is regained.

Humans are slow when they need to think, but reflexes can be very fast. You would be surprised by the slides the best drivers can catch. On some skid pans there are random skid generators that will throw the rear end of the car out in a sudden slide in one direction or the other. Normal people have no chance if the operators set the force to maximum, but I watched HH Frentzen (F1-driver) drive through those things without getting any slides at all. Just a quick correction, and the car kept straight.

Even quite unexperienced drivers will usually drive faster around a track with DSC Off, but I agree that it is a good idea to have it enabled during transport driving.
With respect, there's a huge difference between the heightened awareness and preparedness of a skid pan or race track vs. the typical relaxed or even distracted state when average Joe is driving a normal road. Also HH Frentzen prevents skids for a living so isn't going to freeze or produce large quantities of adrenalin when his car kicks sideways. Comparing HHF on a skid pan with ordinary drivers is like comparing me vs. a trained gymnast on a 4" beam

The point is, the constantly monitoring, fast acting electronics give the average driver HH-like reflexes.

In aquaplaning, what snaps a car sideways are unequal forces applied to the same axle. DSC applies counteracting forces to keep the car straight
Appreciate 0