View Single Post
      05-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The 9 Series is the four door car that is expected to share a Carbon Core Passenger cell like the upcoming Rolls-Royce Phantom in an effort to spread the costs.
However a release date for such a car was proposed for 2018 1 year after the all new Phantom as both were also expected to share a similar plug-in hybrid using BMWs ePower turbo combining a six cylinder with electric drivetrain which is under the body of the Vision Future Luxury.
Although both would be adapted for the characteristics of both brands.

The Z2 is a mystery because the car shown later this year will be designated as the Z5 as BMW are going back to the roots of the Z models.
The idea is to follow the X models with your standard and then the even numbers for additional Coupe so in theory Z1-Z2 just like X5-X6.
The issue is that the Roadster market is in free fall. But all resources are on getting the MINI version to production.

We will still see the i8 based concept in 2016.

The i5 is still a car destined to continue the BMWi philosophy. Electrifying a standard drivetrain destroys the "Born Electric" strategy of BMWi where a lot of time and capital has been invested to provide something our competitors do not have an answer for. As I said the i5 will be shown as a two stage concept over the next 4 years with one dubbed Vision EfficientDynamics #2 to showcase the concept vision followed by another to showcase production similarities. Someone from BMWi has already made official comment on the arrival by 2020. Not 2018.

Automobile just recently wrote a piece in regards to the next generation of 3er which was totally slanted to represent the American market view but failed to recognise global expectations and neglect opinion of models that might not work in the US but are successful for other markets.