Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The Z4 is still a sports car (more now than in the previous generation according to a number of reviews), and even the i8 probably squeaks in. Of course, neither of those two are available with BMW's high performance engines from the M Division, so they definitely miss out on some excitement that is sitting there in the corporate tool shed, ripe for the taking. And that fact clearly says something about where BMW's priorities lie.

But sport sedans? If the 3 Series isn't a sport sedan, then there are almost no sport sedans left. I say that because I don't see how we can arbitrarily eliminate the 3 Series without also nixing every other vehicle in its class. And if we do that, we have to eliminate plenty of other sedans out there that might otherwise be called sport sedans because they are even less sporty than the class we just eliminated. What's left to be called a sport sedan then? Just the M3, C63, RS5 Sportback, and Giulia Q? Maybe throw in the RS3 and CLA45? If that's it then we are really saying that the industry as a whole has abandoned the sport sedan. And I suppose that is one way to look at it, but then that would hardly be a BMW-specific problem, right?
1) I will agree that the I8 and the Z4 are sports cars, to be certain, even without a manual option. I also think, as previously mentioned, that either car would be exponentially more fun and engaging for the driver if they offered one (not sure if even possible on the i8, but I digress). As I mentioned, however, these are becoming more and more rare when it comes to total sales at BMW. The company is a great company and is building good cars, but they are certainly moving away from their primary sellers having any 'sporting' characteristics.

2) I've driven a new 3 series many times as a loaner vehicle. Both the previous F series and the new G series. These do not appear to have any sporting aspirations in my opinion. While very nice cars for sure, I didn't feel like they were any more fun to drive than a Lexus E class or a MB C300. Steering, road feel, acceleration, handling, none of this felt 'sporty'.

Just my 2 cents.