View Single Post
      09-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #44
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wositsch View Post
Driving behind a lorry or being towed by a lorry?
Amazing numbers! So you basically have better fuel economy than stated by the manufacturer. Have you ever pushed the throttle to the max in your life? Or is that a sin since you drive like a nun?
I never push the pedal past half way

I have a Mk1 GTi to thrash about, and a Volvo V70 for hurtling the family up and down the motorway.

My BMW is only used for commuting up and down the M11 into London. I drive at between 50 - 56 mph (depending on how fast the lorry in front is going). I don't tailgate the lorry, I use it as a pace setter.

I have covered 30k miles now in a year and a half, and the 78.2mpg has been calculated from brim to brim fillups. I have recalibrated the trip computer (easily done through the hidden menu) as it was highly optimistic (about 6%).

My previous car (an Audi A3 2.0 TDi) I owned from new, and only managed 62.3 mpg over 185k miles, and was giving around 65-67 mpg per tank just before I sold it.

The BMW is a great car for economy (I know it is the ultimate driving machine, but I have more fun driving my MK1 fast, without power steering or properly servod brakes).

Each to their own
Appreciate 1