07-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #40
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post

I find it interesting that Chris Harris thinks the suspension setup (bushings and all) is too soft for bumpy roads when pushing the car. We have quite a few roads like that in Norway, and I think this is really where the 116i M-Sport shines. It soaks up the bumps while staying perfectly in balance. Maybe the lower weight of the 116i makes the difference?
I know what he means - I think when you are really loading the chassis up laterally on smoothly-surfaced but undulating roads, you do get the sense of a little squidge or vagueness from the rear. I actually decided to increase my tyre pressures a few psi and found this improved that feeling without any obvious loss of grip for hard road driving (might be a different issue on track), but suspect it is in part tyre characteristic and part bushings.

Some of the roads I saw in Norway were quite demanding, and in country Australia we have some appallingly chopped up surfaces - patched tarmac along with subsidence . I was very happy with how the compliance of the M135i allowed the car to manage corners on these roads, finding grip and remaining controlled. Given the car isn't developed with our little country in mind I was surprised how purpose-built it felt.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0