View Single Post
      06-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Kepete
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

BMW F20 CIC or NBT, retrofit important

Hei,

I'm looking for a used F20 and I have read this forum for a couple of days and studied retrofitting possibilities.
As I really like to work on my car and most used cars don't have the spec I would like then retrofitting is important for me.

First I have understood that there are three types of F20 infotainment system/head unit. Without the screen(how is it called?), with CIC and with NBT.

As I have searched it is easy to retrofit backup camera to NBT system. Even adding Apple car play to NBT systems is possible with a video interface module found on Aliexpress for around 200€.
But I haven't seen these video interface modules for CIC systems. To be exact, there are video interface modules for CIC, but older car with CIC systems- BMW E81 / E82 / E87. Why not F20? All of the interface boxes for F20 are for NBT head unit.

Second thought, if I get a good deal on a F20 without screen, will it be possible to add the NBT (or CIC) system to it? I see from the pictures that the climate controls are in a different place in cars without screen. Also the dash would need some drilling but it should be achievable as there physically is a place where to put the screen.
What other challenges might I face ?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0