06-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Let's talk a little about "macro". My entry, "M-Stitch" is technically a "macro" because I used an extension tube to shorten the DOF and change the focus point of a normal lens. Like I said when I posted the entry, it's really part of a pair of images , one focuses on the stitches and the other focuses on the "M" from the same perspective, with only the focus changing. Still, it's a macro. I think that excluding it would be similar to excluding as shot taken with an f2.8 200 mm lens wide open just because it'd be hard to take such a shot w/o DOP showing. We all use our "tools".

There's another super-macro entry with DOF of a few mm. Just because it's almost impossible to do super macro and get everything in the frame in focus (a flat piece of paper might do it) I don't think that super macros, or 1-to1 macros for that matter, should be excluded.

In the end, it comes down to the combination of DOP AND subject AND execution. I think when the voting starts the contest will take care of itself.

Dave