01-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #31
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
seems like you've been missing out.

Seriously, I hate when people brag about the number of cylinders in their cars.
Do you track your car? Does it really matter to you that much?
As a daily driver's car, it really doesn't matter unless you own a high performance sportscar.
I think you are missing a major point. Most BMW owner buy it for the marque not performance on track, which really isn't that impressive -less the M. If you want a track car buy a Lotus, Bmw for that is a copout. What percentage of BMW owner tracks their car more than 5 times a year. I will be surprised if figure is over 2%.

Marque is back by intangibles such as history and prestige and tangibles such as horse power, cylinders, 0-60, amenities, and other measurable quality to name a few. A BMW with 0-60 acceleration that of 4 cylinder Camry is death to the brand. BMW differentiate itself by athleticism and quality. Toyota through the years got the quality down, until recently. BMW out does Toyota in quality by using parts from rarer materials which usually adds weight which goes against efficiency (wood trim, thicker leather, more airbags, better plastic). So it has athleticism left but in awakening of environmental consciousness BMW is in a transition from pure performance to performance and green.

BMW is in a tough spot. I think it will do well if it can make the transition. If not BMW's profitability will decline in next 10 years.

Last edited by Robert; 01-04-2011 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0