First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I wasn't referring to BMW's financial side of things, since over the short run they're likely better off leasing as many as possible; instead I was thinking of how leased cars are often treated like what they are to the typical person leasing it -- a rental car. There is zero incentive to care deeply about a car you're going to ditch in 30 month's time for the vast majority. Cold start and 60 seconds later wind it out to redline at full throttle getting on the Interstate with cold oil? No problem, car is under warranty through the lease period, who cares what happens to it? Etc. The "customer" is much different than someone who is deeply attracted to a car and writes a check for it.

As to engagement, I agree with you. Aside from the BMW CCA major events where BMWNA is a presence, I don't see it either. You'd think that they would maintain contact with someone who has driven BMWs since Max Hoffman days, has purchased them new and used from BMW dealers, currently owns four, two of which are iconic M-cars? One would think they'd offer drive events with the latest M-cars, ask for input and feedback, etc.

I guess that would be true if it mattered, but I don't think it really matters to them what rabid car enthusiasts think and feel, nor does it matter to court traditional enthusiasts with events like you mention. If it did actually matter, we'd not be asking these questions.
Well, to a point you're correct about how some lessee's treat their vehicle and I guess I'm sitting here thinking -- I don't do that! The ones you're referring to hand it their vehicle and get whooped on the head for excessive wear and tear. Not me brother.

Trust me, I treat my M3 as much care as those who own because of that reason alone and because I'm a "car guy" so how I treat her says something about me. I posted here on the forum how I park like a pussy -- yeah, that front lip is expensive to replace so yes, I am proud to park like a pussy

Now I'm just fighting the itch to mod this baby... I thought leasing would keep that from happening but you guys are a bad influence
Appreciate 0