07-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #160
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw M3 View Post
Reading through this thread again today and there's several great comments. Yes, BMW is growing marketshare and yes, they're doing it in a way that's anathema to it's roots. Regulations are strangling the auto industry from C02, to Pedestrian safety and beyond.

Yet isn't the ///M brand supposed to fly in the face of all that? Isn't it the sub-brand where BMW lets loose FOR the enthusiast? Or is BMW selling just as many M versions of each model that it statistically skews things for them?
Regulations are strangling the auto industry equally, but many other performance car manufacturers (other than BMW) are still embracing their motorsport heritage by producing special, track-ready, vehicles with highly engineered, high performance, naturally aspirated engines for enthusiasts.

See: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...an-get-today/?. In addition to these 10 amazing cars, there are many other great, affordable, naturally aspirated performance cars still being produced including the Ford Mustang GT, Suburu BRZ, Mazda Miata and others.

Unfortunately, BMW has chosen a different path by completely embracing the cheap, low-tech, horsepower gains that forced induction provides (mated to vehicles with overly soft suspensions and poor steering feedback).

If I never needed more than two seats, I'd buy a naturally aspirated 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport over anything BMW is producing today.