View Single Post
      07-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #159
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Many buy into the 'halo' models, but still want a practical daily driver. I often question in our UK market place, how many buy into the M-cars purely as a driving choice? I believe it is exactly the same reasons as to why folks desire to drive the BMW brand, certainly applies over here in the UK, where BMW is still an aspirational brand. Fickle it may be, but BMW are supplying the goods folks want.
Not sure how it is in the UK, but here in the USA, BMW doesn't really "sell" high end cars anymore -- they're essentially rental cars, i.e. leased. BMW "sells" them to themselves through BMW Financial Services. In the major metropolitan markets like NYC area, lease rates on high end models are in the 80% range. There are very few "car buyers" anymore of these products new from BMW. They hope to find an actual buyer once the car comes off lease in ~3 years.

Hence, trying to define a "new car buyer" is essentially not possible nor particularly relevant to BMWNA...it's what attracts the lessee into the door (doodads, tech, "status", etc, etc, with very little to do with the actual act of truly driving the car necessary to be concerned with) that is all that matters for the most part.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0