11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Basically, BMW intends to leverage its brand across wider markets and if that entails FWD, so be it. The fear is that BMW will sacrafice the performance side of the brand to achieve its growth. Sure, they'll still make M3s, M5s, etc., but those cars will be few in numbers and high in price. The question will be what the brand will become if the majority of vehicles being made bear little relationship to the performance cars other than badges and kidney grilles? The announcements essentially confirm that the primary face of the brand is luxury with asperations to performance. Sadly, the word that the M2 will be a low horsepower vehicle suggests that you'll need significantly more money to aquire that famed performance. Anyone thinking that the M2 will be redeemed by being light weight will likely be disappointed because that's not the brand and you're starting with a 2 series platform. It won't be a Toyburu or a Lotus. It will be just like the other entry-level BMW cars - asperational.