View Single Post
      07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
With the same engine, I am pretty sure I could drive faster around a track or slalom course with the new one. The old one had more understeer in some situations, and was more unsettled over bumps. The virtual limited slip differential with DSC off is also a very important step forward. I can go very early on the throttle now.

The first impression is more sporty with the old one, since it has firmer steering and suspension. If you push both cars to the limit, the new one feels more capable.
Quote:
I have driven some cars of the previous 1-series (not the E82/135i though), and I prefer the new one. It has a wider track and better balance. I have the regular steering in mine (no variable stuff), and think it feels very precise. It is maybe slightly lighter in feel compared to the older models, but that is easy to get used to. I can still feel the grip through the steering.

The suspension (M Sport) is softer in the new one, but there is not enough body movement to bring the car out of balance, even when driven hard on a track. The interior in the car is also one step up from the previous generation.
Does the suspension get firmer in sport mode?
Appreciate 0