View Single Post
      11-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Ah, I understand how it is wired internally, then. A short circuit on top, and a resister underneath. The whole sensor is however rather flat, so the pads will have to be worn far down to trigger the top wire. I will usually replace the pads before it comes to that point.

The service indicator counts down before the sensor is triggered, so it must be based on how hard and frequently we are braking.
I've tried to sort this one out in my mind, how it can countdown without contact for a good few miles. I come to a similar conclusion, there must be a countdown (which can get well out of phase in reality on some cars) and only when we trigger and break the sensor circuits do we really get to an accurate (if it is that) wear rate. I suppose it is only the last part of use and countdown that really needs to be accurate, but can cause panics along the way, it appears, with false countdowns.

I know for my car the rear pad rate is now reversing, I've gained 2k miles in the last 5k miles, gone up from 14k to 16k miles. I'll be maeasuring my pad thickness when I swap over to winter wheels in the next few days. I wonder if my rear pads have now worn to the first break in the sensor circuit and it has recalculated the mileage.

So you are changing pads well before the first contact with the brake disc. What have you got left, over 6mm pad thickness?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0